Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Hysteria by Megan Miranda


When I read Megan Miranda’s new (and second) novel Hysteria, I was expecting it to be only all right – after all, a lot of authors’ second books are not as good as their first. But I was very pleasantly surprised to find that Hysteria was even better than Miranda’s already great first novel.

Mallory killed her boyfriend, Brian, and she doesn’t remember it. It was in self-defense, but that doesn’t keep almost everyone in town (including her parents) uneasy around her. When her parents decide to send her to her dad’s old boarding school, Mallory isn’t sure what to expect – certainly not hallucinations of Brian. And when someone is found murdered (with all indications that she did it), Mallory realizes that she needs to get to the bottom of her own memories in order to figure out what’s wrong.

Hysteria is one of the best realistic fiction books I’ve read this year. And it isn’t your typical realistic read either, since it has aspects of a psychological thriller too. The writing is so vivid and gripping – I finished Hysteria in only 3 days, since I couldn’t put it down. I’d recommend Hysteria to anyone looking for a book that really gets in your head. And after you read Hysteria (or Fracture), come see Megan Miranda at TBF. Hope to see you there on Saturday!

Happy reading!
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment