Tuesday, April 30, 2013

War Horse by Michael Morpurgo

I can't believe it's only 17 days until TBF! I'm really excited, but there are still so many books I want to read! If you're in the same situation that I am, one book that I'd totally recommend is War Horse -- it's been one of my favourite books for years.

War Horse chronicles the life of a youg horse named Joey, as well as that of his master Albert. Joey and Albert are living contentedly in the English countryside when disaster strikes -- World War I has begun. Now not only young men are being drafted, but horses are as well. And before long, Joey and Albert are torn apart as Joey is sold into the army and taken off to war. As the years of terror and hardship roll on, Joey finds himself in unimagnable circumstances, both good and bad. But will Joey ever be able to find his boy, his Albert, again?

This book has honestly been one of my facourites for years, so when I heard that Michael Morpurgo was coming to TBF, I was literally jumping up and down in excitement. As a kid, I was a huge fan of Black Beauty, so when I discovered War Horse in 7th grade, I soon became enamored with it. Although War Horse is similar to Black Beauty, it is also very different; the story and themes of War Horse are much more mature, though no less important or entertaining. (And after you read War Horse, you might also want to check out the movie that came out just over a year ago.) I love War Horse immensely, and I hope you'll read it and enjoy it as well before coming to meet Michael Morpurgo at TBF this year.

Happy reading!
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment