Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Book Review: Icons by Margaret Stohl


I personally loved Margaret Stohl’s Beautiful Creatures series, which she wrote with Kami Garcia, so when I heard that she had a new book that she’d written by herself that was coming out soon (May 7th), I was intrigued. When I finally got a copy, I couldn’t put it down.

On the Day, everything changed. Strange ships descended upon thirteen of the largest cities on Earth, and everyone in a set radius around where they landed died. Dol was a baby when the Day happened, and her entire family died, but for some reason she was spared. For most of her life, she’s been living in the countryside of what used to be California, safe from the Icon that landed in what was once Los Angeles. But when she and her best friend Ro are captured and taken to the Embassy, more questions arise then are answered. Can they find a way to escape? And even if they do, is there any way that the Icons can be destroyed?

After reading Icons at a break-neck speed, I can say that this book is DEFINITLEY worth it. Yes, this book is dystopian, and even though that’s starting to become like the new “vampire trend,” Icons is not typical in the least. Margaret Stohl somehow managed to give an exotic and unfamiliar feel to a place most people, including myself, would find familiar. Not only that, but the story itself is a proper sci-fi one – dystopian, but not exclusively dystopian. I really, really enjoyed Icons, and it will be painful having to wait an entire year to get my hands on its sequel.

Keep your eyes open for Icons after it comes out on May 7th – it’s totally worth it! (And only 38 days now until TBF…)

Happy reading!
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment