Monday, March 6, 2017

Guest Blogger Book Review: NERDS by Michael Buckley

I am so excited to have the opportunity to review a book by Michael Buckley, and can’t wait to get his autograph at the TBF 2017. This is my first book review ever. This book brought me back to a time when I had braces, and middle school anxiety. It’s so cool that this is on the TBF website, awesome!

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be a spy? To be part of a team that completes covert missions? To work towards saving the entire planet?! Well read NERDS: National Espionage, Rescue, and Defense Society, book 1, by Michael Buckley and all your wishes will come true. I’ve imagined being a spy often, and this book completely describes how it would have likely happened to me in real life. 

I think middle school is really hard, and it is difficult to feel like you belong. I enjoyed how this book has a huge twist to what we normally think about for those we consider weird or different. The five weirdest students in Jackson Jones school turn out to be the most interesting. Jackson Jones was living it up. He was popular and the star of the football team. Then he learns he needs a head gear. Once he gets his head gear, his social status drops quickly, and he is struggling to fit into a group. His grades drop, and he spends his time watching people instead of interacting with them.

Jackson Jones accidentally happens upon the secret lair of the NERDS. He finds that the thing that makes him weird now is his super power, and he is called braceface. He has to learn to work with people he used to look down on, and prove himself before he gets kicked out of NERDS. He has a lot of work ahead of himself to prove he is worthy, and together with his new team, they have to learn how to work together to save the planet.

NERDS make being weird ok. The book was very exciting, and I look forward to reading the next book in the weeks to come. I liked that the book made being different acceptable. I laughed a lot, and could see anyone enjoying this book, from tween to adult. If you are looking for a great series I would totally recommend NERDS.

~Erika M.

No comments:

Post a Comment