Friday, February 21, 2014

Book Review: Shine by Lauren Myracle

While working at a gas station late at night, Patrick was brutally attacked. He was beaten up, had a gas nozzle stuffed in his mouth, and was left for dead. He's now in a coma, and no one knows if he is going to live. Patrick was also gay. The small Southern town of Black Creek, NC was very shaken, but that doesn't mean anyone has done much about the attack. The police have stopped looking for the culprits, chalking it up to drunk students at the neighboring college, but Cat doesn't think that's the case. She knows there's something else behind the near-murder of her former best friend, who she hasn't talked to in years. But no one will believe her when she says that the crime was something more than a mistake. So Cat decides to find out what really happened on that terrible night, despite being told not to -- and even being threatened. She's determined to bring Patrick's assailants to justice. And she won't only uncover the truth about Patrick -- she'll also discover the truth about herself.

I read Shine a few months ago, expecting a good, yet normal, mystery novel, but I found so much more. Shine not only gave me a captivating plot and characters, but completely pulled me into its grasp. I found myself reading the dialogue with the accents of the characters, something I've been able to do with few novels. I could barely set Shine down, and I speedily finished it in less than a weekend. Kauren Myracle did a wonderful job with this book, and I'd strongly recommend it to everyone, especially those who enjoy mysteries and realistic fiction. I can't wait to read other books by Lauren Myracle and to meet her at TBF!

Happy reading!
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment