Wednesday, February 12, 2014

A message from self-published author, G.R. Wilson!

Hello fellow readers and writers of all ages!

My name is G.R. (“Geoff”) Wilson, and I self-published my first book in 2013. My book is entitled Right Behind You: Tales of the Spooky and Strange, and, as the name suggests, it's a collection of short scary stories intended mainly for young adults. I'll be appearing at this year's Greater Rochester Teen Book Festival (9th annual!!) to answer your questions and chat with you in person, and check out the work and ideas of other authors, both local and nationally-acclaimed. I thought I'd just take advantage of this here blog to introduce a little about myself. Here it goes.

I'm currently a college student at Rochester Institute of Technology, studying political science. I love RIT; I'm fortunate to have such great professors, and to learn and live in such a fun, creative, and stimulating environment. I'm a proud member of RIT's Western style Equestrian Team, and horseback riding is one of my main hobbies, along with creative writing and war board game collection. I'm an avid history buff, and about half the books I read (outside of class) are non-fiction history, political science, or economics. The other half are mostly Science Fiction, Horror, or Fantasy, and I also love historical novels.

I find Horror to be the most fun genre to write in for a few reasons. For one thing, I have fond memories of being scared of various Horror media as a child: monsters and ghosts have always stirred my imagination and creativity, and I appreciate them on a deeper level as I get older. (I loved the classic Goosebumps and Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books when I was younger, and have lately been reading a lot of Stephen King and H.P. Lovecraft.) I find something very basic, and primal, in the horror genre; it taps into our animal instincts, as well as our more complex concerns about the people and places around us, and about ourselves. I think there's a little bit of horror in any genre; when you have suspense, serious violence, uncertainty about the future, and characters experiencing great anxiety and fear about the obstacles, antagonists, and unknowns in their own stories. And, I enjoy writing scary stories because it's fun to imagine and write about disgusting and terrible creatures of all shapes and sizes.

I'm currently writing work which expands into other genres, (though I'll of course never abandon Horror.) and, as much as I've had success with self-publishing and would recommend it to other first-time authors, I still very much hope and plan to secure conventional publication within the next couple years. See you at the Festival!

Sincerely,

G.R. Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment