Friday, May 10, 2019

Friday Fun Post: A Tribute to Stephanie

It's hard to pick a memory of Stephanie to share with you all. There's so many moments, from big events to little things that made an impact on my life. Stephanie was someone who I looked up to. She was a woman driven, inspired by, and in love with what she did and the people she got to work with every day. Stephanie was someone who would still remember me and greet me by name every time we met, even though I wasn't a regular in the Fairport library so we didn't talk that much.

Even though I wasn't the closest to Stephanie I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to work with her on multiple occasions. Back senior year when working on my capstone project I got to work with her and interview her, as well as that being the year that I first started blogging. Fast forward to last year. I was working on a documentary project for a class and naturally Stephanie was my first choice. So mid week during a blustery fall afternoon I made my way down to the Fairport library, camera gear in hand, and shot myself a documentary. Hearing Stephanie talk about her part in both TBF and just being a teen librarian was so uplifting. She told me, as I set up camera equipment in the most confused and amateur way possible, that she really was surprised and flattered that I thought she was worthy of being the subject of a short film. She never knew what an inspiration she was to all of us. 

TBF has been such a huge influence in my life, ever since back seven years ago when I first signed up to volunteer. When I first met Stephanie it was in that room, surrounded by other volunteers, as she announced that we had met the fundraising goal and had dyed her hair pink as she had promised. Stephanie was the hard working, beating heart of TBF, she was always upping the fundraising stakes on us, always passing on ARCs, and always meaning so much more for me than she will ever know.

Thanks for listening,
See you all next time!

Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment