Monday, February 29, 2016

Nazareth Blogger Deanna reviews Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson

Greetings! My name is Deanna Metzger and I am a graduate student at Nazareth College. I currently work at Brockport High School with 9th and 10th graders. I am an avid book worm and truly enjoy a good book. The book I am going to talk to you today is about Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson. She has written many young adult novels, titles such as Speak, Twisted, Prom, and Fever 1793. Laurie Halse Anderson is one of my favorite young adult authors, she creates realistic characters with believable life situations that everyone can relate to in some way.

Picture this, Kate a senior at Meryweather High School in Syracuse, NY. She is an A student, running to escape reality, with a perfect boyfriend, supportive friends, and her father a minister at the local church. Kate is a logical intellectual who attempts to organize her life similar to that of the periodic table of elements.

Events begin to occur similar to that of chemical reactions…
  • Kate is frantically awaiting the letter that will change her life forever…
  • Kate is FORCED to share a room with her “friendamie” Teri and her little brother Mikey...
  • KABOOM! Everything changes…
You might be wondering what the word catalyst even means? A catalyst is a person or thing that increases the rate of a reaction, it precipitates an event. In Kate’s world, these catalysts carry her in to situations that are sometimes funny, like when she her new roommates has an “accident” on her bed and she has to clean it up. On the other hand, sometimes these catalysts lead her to have face her biggest fears, like when the letter from finally arrives.

I could not put this book down. Kate’s story was realistic and I easily connected with her. Reading this book made me think back to my high school career and a time in my life when there were many catalysts that shaped me into who I am today. Just like Kate, my life was influence by things such as grades, relationships, the future, death, and college decision letters. Honestly, there were many times I found myself losing myself inside Kate’s story. … The battle between Kate’s emotions and her brains was intriguing and compelling that made the story interesting and on the edge of my seat. I know that anyone who picks up this book will find not only find Kate, her father, and even Teri to be glued to the pages as you are with them in their journey. This blog is definitely a post is a catalyst for you to go to the nearest library and read this book. You can now run very quickly to find this at your local library! Monroe County Library System Catalog

No comments:

Post a Comment