Thursday, November 5, 2015

Book Review: I Crawl Through It by A.S. King


Hi readers!  I hope everyone’s enjoying the perfect reading weather we’re having, and if you don’t know what to read, have I got something for you.  A.S. King’s I Crawl Through It is sure to be a definite fall favorite.

Four teenagers, all trying to deal with the memories of their pasts and the stresses of their present, feel like they are about to explode.  Standardized testing, bomb threats, and suspicious neighbors all add to the tension in their lives.  To cope, one lies, one swallows herself, one splits in two and one builds an invisible helicopter to fly away from their problems. However, they soon discover that they must face their problems head on if they truly wish to overcome them.

This book is definitely not a light read.  It is thought provoking and challenges readers to think of the characters and plots in unconventional ways and to question what the narrators truly mean.  Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed that challenge.  This surrealist novel will be something that readers are not used to, so I encourage everyone to stretch their horizons and read with a mindset that is open to new experiences.  From the first page, I was hooked, I Crawl Through It is so different from anything that I’ve ever read and it was quite refreshing to read a story told in such a unique way.
 
Each character is dealing with challenges that teenagers in real life face.  They are flawed.  They are broken.  They are trying.  Unlike many stories about teenagers today, this one takes teens and puts them in a light that validates every challenge that they face and shows them struggling to deal with the fallout.  King does a wonderful job of creating characters that will resonate with all readers.

This book can start great conversations, not only about the story, but about major issues brought up in the novel, if you do choose to read it, (and I hope you will) be prepared to want to talk about it with anyone who will listen (I certainly did).  Anyone who has enjoyed Laurie Halse Anderson, John Green, or any of A.S. King’s other novels will undoubtedly love I Crawl Through It. 

Happy Reading!

Bridget







No comments:

Post a Comment