Thursday, March 28, 2013

Interview with TBF author: Jennifer E. Smith

Hello readers!

Spring break is just around the corner! Vacation time is the best time to sit down and read tons of books. If you haven't already read Jennifer E. Smith's books, this is the golden opportunity. Jennifer is the author of The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight and This is What Happy Look Like.

Miranda Reads: In the Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight I must admit that Oliver is quite the charmer. Is Oliver based on someone you know?
Jennifer E. Smith: He’s not, actually, though I have a good friend with an accent whose middle name happens to be Oliver, and he likes to tell everyone that the character is based on him!

MR: Do you believe in love at first sight? Why?
JES: I believe in connections at first sight – a spark of interest and a feeling that you want to get to know a person better.  In spite of the title, I’m not quite as convinced by the googly-eyed, swoony version of love at first sight, though I’m both an optimist and a romantic, so I guess it’s nice to believe it’s at least possible.  You never know…

MR: Your latest book, This is What Happy Looks Like will be released in April. Can you tell us what it's about?
JES: It’s about what happens when an email goes astray, sparking an unlikely relationship between two very different teens from opposite ends of the country – a girl from a small town in Maine, and a boy from California who happens to be a movie star.  Like Statistical Probability, the story explores the idea of fate quite a bit.

MR: In YA literature, it seems that almost every book has some sort of an “epic love triangle” (ie. the Edward-Bella-Jacob love triangle from the Twilight Saga; the Peeta-Katniss-Gale love triangle from the Hunger Games trilogy). Readers love them or don’t like them. What’s your personal opinion about “love triangles”?
JES: You know, I really do enjoy them in other books, but I’ve never actually included one in any of my own.  In some ways, I guess it feels like an artificial conflict, and so far, I’ve been more interested in exploring other obstacles that face two people in a relationship.  But I’m a sucker for reading about them in other books, and I’d love to potentially try one at some point.

MR: One of your fun facts says that you went to St. Andrews in Scotland and missed Will and Kate by 1 year. If you were at St. Andrews the time that Will and Kate were there, what would you say to them? Would you ask for their autographs?
JES: It would have been really cool to meet them, though I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have had the nerve to say anything at all.  A friend of mine who was there at the time once asked William if she could borrow a pen during class.  That’s probably about as far as I would have gotten too!

MR: What author are you most looking forward to meeting at the 8th annual Greater Rochester Teen Book Festival?
JES: It’s a great line-up this year, and there are so many authors I really admire, and others who are good friends, so it’s going to be a lot of fun.  But the person I’m most excited to meet is definitely Michael Morpurgo.  I was first introduced to his work when I was living in the UK, and I absolutely loved Private Peaceful, and of course, War Horse, as well.  So I’m really looking forward to meeting him.

Thanks Jennifer!

Make sure you enter the giveaway by suggesting an appropriate song (in the comment box) for Stephanie should sing at TBF. The grand prize is 10 door prize tickets. The giveaway ends April 22.

Miranda

No comments:

Post a Comment