Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson



I’d been meaning to read The Adoration of Jenna Fox for months, if not years. Every once in a while it would pop up unexpectedly as I was either perusing Barnes & Noble or looking through the library. The time finally came to read it for this blog, & I’m really happy that I finally did.

Jenna Fox has been in a coma for eighteen months. When she awakes, she finds herself surrounded by her family --- but she can’t remember them, or really anything else about her life before. As the days pass, she only comes to remember what she is told, like how she loved ballet, as well as small snippets of memories. But as the weeks wear on, Jenna realizes that something is not right. Her parents won’t tell her what’s wrong, so she decides to find out for herself what it is. But once she does, how will she deal with the knowledge and its impact?

I really, really loved this book. When it begins, the story feels very quaint --- you know it’s a modern book and that the story takes place in the future, but it has this familiar, yet unique, feeling to it. Jenna was very interesting as a character; she knows nothing about herself at the beginning of the novel, so as a reader, it was cool to journey with her, learning about her as she learns about herself. And on top of that all, there are themes in this book! Whenever I find a YA book with themes it makes me incredibly happy. The Adoration of Jenna Fox’s themes became more evident as the story played out (I won’t give any spoilers), and made me actually think about the subjects brought up. 

I would definitely recommend The Adoration of Jenna Fox to anyone needing a new series. There are two more books in the trilogy, and we’ll be reviewing them here later on. You can visit Mary E. Pearson at her website http://www.marypearson.com/ , & follow her on Twitter as well. I hope you’ll come see her at the festival in May!
Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment