Wednesday, December 20, 2017

The Porcupine of Truth book review

Happy Holiday season!  The Porcupine of Truth by Bill Konigsberg is the perfect book to read over break. This year I am trying to read books outside of my usual genres(science fiction and fantasy). When I heard about this book I thought "why not" and I am so glad I did.

Carson Smith is resigned to spending his summer in Billings, Montana, helping his mom take care of his father, a dying alcoholic he doesn't really know. Then he meets Aisha Stinson, a beautiful girl who has run away from her difficult family, and discovers a secret regarding his grandfather, who disappeared without warning or explanation decades before. Together, Carson and Aisha embark on an epic road trip to try and save Carson's dad, restore his fragmented family, and discover the "Porcupine of Truth" in all of their lives.-Amazon


Image result for the porcupine of truth



I flew through this book. That could have something to do with the fact that I couldn't put it down or the fact that it was a pretty quick read. I laughed a ton. The two main characters, Aisha and Carson, are both into improv and that led to many funny moments. There were also some not so funny moments(I might have cried once or twice...).

There was a bit of a history lesson, although not as much as I expected. It is told in an intriguing way that made it feel very unlike history class. I loved how messy all the families were. The small town aspect was great as well. My grandparents live in a small town and even though the one in the book is in a totally different location I kept picturing all the town scenes happening in my grandparents town. Both of the main charecters were interesting, and I related to both of them in different ways.

I can't wait to read more of Bill Konigsberg's books. I honestly don't know what it is like because like I said I don't really read realistic fiction. So I will just suggest it to anyone wanting a light, funny, quick read over break that will make them think a little. Oh and sorry for the weird highlight thing on the summary, can't figure out how to get that to go away!

Happy Holidays,
Anica

No comments:

Post a Comment