Friday, March 15, 2019

Friday Fun Post: My Top 5 Anticipated Books of 2019

Hey everyone! I'm excited to share my top five most anticipated books coming out this year. It took me a while to figure which books I was going to write about this week, but I think my list is a good one, full of some exciting books to add to your TBRs this year. I hope you've been enjoying everyone else's lists too, and without further ado, here's mine!

1) A Place for Wolves by Kosoko Jackson

When I saw that a historical thriller had been compared to Aristotle and Dante by Benjamin Alire Saenz, my interest was immediately captured. This is Jackson's debut novel and is #ownvoices and I couldn't be more excited about it. From the short excerpt (right here!) I read I fell in love with Jackson's unique and beautiful prose, and this book had one of the coolest opening lines I've read in a long time. So to anyone like me who likes reading about historical stories that were once ignored, and who likes a little love story with it, check out A Place for Wolves!
expected release date: April 2nd, 2019
preorder here: amazon, barnes and noble


2) Opposite of Always by Justin A. Reynolds
This book is another debut coming this year that quickly went the top of my list after I stumbled across it and an interview the author did on Goodreads. While this book is a love story, it's not typical at all, with the premise focusing on the idea of wishing for a do-over after a tragedy occurs, which is just what the main character experiences. Based off of the summary I see bits of myself within the protagonist, known as the 'King of Almost,' and several early reviews I read praised Reynolds' strong characterization, which is something I'm a sucker for. And so with diverse characters, a high praise-filled blurb from Becky Albertalli, and the promise of the need of a box of tissues or two, I have the feeling I am going to absolutely adore this novel.
expected release date: March 5th, 2019
preorder here: amazon, barnes and noble



3) Internment by Samira Ahmed

When I saw this cover in an article about exciting upcoming books I immediately wanted to read this book, and reading the summary only added to my excitement over this book. Set in a "horrifying near-future United States" this is a book about the strength of a girl and the need for a revolution. While some may see the premise of Muslim-American internment camps as far-fetched, with the discriminatory political climate of the country today, it's horrifyingly far from unbelievable. While the book has been described as blunt and hard to read by some, I can't wait to pick it up, and to see the conversations it will start and what we can do to prevent this rapidly spiraling situation,
expected release date: March 19th, 2019
preorder here: amazon, barnes and noble


4) These Witches Don't Burn by Isabel Sterling

We have now made it to the first of two fantasy books on this list for all you fantasy fans out there! I will admit, I almost never reach for fantasy novels. But as an avid fan of Labyrinth Lost, by Zoraida Cordova (a story of queer witches), when this book popped up on my Goodreads with reviews that all continued the phrase "sapphic witches" I was intrigued. As I read more about it, it seems as if this book contains everything I want in a book, from magic in the real world (a trope I'll never tire of) to reviews praising Sterling's emotionally complex characters and stunning driving narrative. This is Isabel Sterling's debut novel and is #ownvoices too, and I am so excited to experience the magic and power of this story for myself.
expected release date: May 28th, 2019
preorder here: amazon, barnes and noble



5) Wayward Son by Rainbow Rowell

And lastly, my most anticipated release of the year, the long-anticipated sequel to Rainbow Rowell's Carry On. As an avid Rainbow Rowell fan, when I saw her announcement tweet for this book I couldn't have been more excited. I was instantly in love with Carry On when I first read after reading Fangirl right before and I can't wait to reenter this magical world and see Simon and Baz and Penny all over again and fall in love with yet another one of Rowell's books. And the fact I was never quite satisfied with the first book's ending only makes my excitement  This summer I know I'll be rereading Carry On to prepare for this novel and I'm sure all of you are just as excited for this book as I am. And if you haven't read a Rainbow Rowell book, I 100% would recommend you catch up before Wayward Son comes out this year.
expected release date: September 24, 2019
preorder here: amazon, barnes and noble


An honorable sixth place mention goes to I Wish You All the Best by Mason Deaver, a book that sounds beautiful and compelling and I also am very excited about it! Hope you all are having a great March and are reading some very great books, look forward to another great book review from one of our bloggers next Wednesday!

-Claire




No comments:

Post a Comment