Friday, December 8, 2017

Friday Fun Post: An Upcoming TBF Book I'm Dying to Read


Cover May Not Be Final

As I looked over the upcoming releases of our many TBF authors this year the one that really stuck out to me was American Panda by Gloria Chao. This is Gloria's debut novel and she has already announced her second novel, Misaligned, which is set for release in fall of 2019.

At seventeen, Mei should be in high school, but skipping fourth grade was part of her parents' master plan. Now a freshman at MIT, she is on track to fulfill the rest of this predetermined future: become a doctor, marry a pre-approved Taiwanese Ivy Leaguer, produce a litter of babies.

With everything her parents have sacrificed to make her cushy life a reality, Mei can't bring herself to tell them the truth - that she (1) hates germs, (2) falls asleep in biology lectures, and (3) has a crush on her classmate Darren Takahashi, who is decidedly not Taiwanese.

But when Mei reconnects with her brother, Xing, who is estranged from the family for dating the wrong woman, Mei starts to wonder if all the secrets are truly worth it. Can she find a way to be herself, whoever that is, before her web of lies unravels? -Goodreads

I read a lot of contemporaries and often the summaries don't stand out to me but this one did.  Mei sounds like such an interesting character to read about and get in the head of. The idea of the forbidden love story is always present in literature but American Panda is a version I've never read before. Plus the added on storyline about Mei not enjoying biology is something I bet many of us high schoolers may relate to. As I learned more about the book all of the reviews I read were positive and wrote of the perfect mix of humor and heartfelt moments which are two of my favorite things to read about. Overall I am highly looking forward to reading this adorable sounding novel next year and hopefully meeting Gloria in May at TBF!

-Claire

American Panda is set to be released on February 6th, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment