It is a known fact that authors are some of the awesomest people on the planet. After all, what’s cooler than devoting your life to developing entire worlds inside your head, writing about them and then having them actually be read by hundreds of teenagers. But even among the best of the best, some writers still stand out.
One of these is Laurie Halse Anderson. Author of several famous YA books such as Speak, The Impossible Knife of Memory, and Wintergirls, Laurie isn’t afraid to take a tough stance on issues most people are afraid to speak about.
Here are a couple of facts about one of the most amazing authors to grace TBF.
- She started writing in second grade.
- Her first job as an author was being a freelance reporter.
- She also has written several picture books, several of them about women in American history.
- If she could have one book to read on a desert island, it would be Ulysses by James Joyce.
- She lives in a town called Mexico in northern New York...
- ...where she has her own writing cottage built by her husband.
- A couple of her hobbies include: knitting, running and gardening.
- A tip for meeting her at TBF: “Halse” is pronounced like “waltz.”
- She has worked on a pig farm.
- And to top it off, she’s been given the Margaret A. Edwards award for lifetime achievement.