Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Book Review: This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith



I picked up Jennifer E. Smith’s novel The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight last year, not quite sure what to expect, but I loved it and finished it in one sitting. So when one of my best friends told me that she had a new book coming out, I was incredibly excited, and even more so when I received and advanced readers copy of it last week. And I was not disappointed in the slightest.

Graham, a famous teen actor, accidentally sends an email to Ellie, and soon they’re emailing back and forth every night. The only thing is, neither one knows exactly who the other is, other than they’re a teen girl and boy, and that they’re starting to fall for each other. When Graham’s next movie begins filming in the small seaside town where Ellie lives, they finally meet. But much as they like each other, Ellie doesn’t like the publicity that their relationship could bring. Will they find a way to be together?

This is What Happy Looks Like, much like The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight (Smith’s previous novel), goes way beyond what you’d expect based off of the back cover. If you were just to read the blurbs and summaries the wrong way, This is What Happy Looks Like would seem incredibly cheesy; but this is one of the most enjoyable romances (and realistic fiction novels) that I’ve ever read. Jennifer E. Smith’s characters are complex and fully developed, and you get drawn more and more into the story as it progresses.

I hope you’ll look into This is What Happy Looks Like as soon as it comes out on April 2nd; it’s one of the best books I’ve read so far this year. Check out Jennifer E. Smith’s website at <http://www.jenniferesmith.com/>. I hope you’ll come see her at the festival in May!

Happy reading!
Elizabeth

1 comment: