Monday, January 14, 2013

Interview with TBF Author: Amy Ignatow

Hey guys!

Oh my goodness, TBF is only 4 months away! Are you excited?!

If you're a little bit excited, I have a cure for that. I had the pleasure of interviewing Amy Ignatow, author of The Popularity Paper series. To jog your memory, here is the book review.

Miranda Reads:Your books are about two girls, Lydia and Julie, who want to be popular or have "cool" friends. When you were a teenager, did you want to be popular as well?
Amy Ignatow: I thought that I was popular. There are probably people in my high school who would say I was crazy for thinking so, but I had a wonderful group of friends that I'm still close with today (real friends that have stayed in regular contact for years, not just people that I reconnected with on Facebook). When you have real friends it doesn't matter if other people think you're a great big weirdo (which I probably was).

MR:A lot of teens struggle in school whether it's academically or socially. Do you have any words of wisdom for them?
AI: Find your friends. Find your friends, be a good friend, and you'll all get through together.

MR: I love the people Lydia and Julie talk about in "The Handbook" like Mike, Jane, Chuck, Roland and Gretchen. Are they based on classmates you went to school with?
AI: Kinda sorta not really a little. Like most writers, I start out with ideas for characters that are loosely based on people I've known, but they really take on lives of their own as their stories are told.

MR: One of your five fun facts says that you were trapped inside the Philadelphia Zoo after closing time. Can you tell us a little bit more of what happened?
AI: I was hired to help out a woman who ran a company that provided gift bags for big events. We were working an after-hours Bat Mitzvah at the Philadelphia Zoo, and after spending 8 hours stuffing bags in front of a sullen gorilla in the Monkey House I was beat. Now I could have left through the employee entrance, but that would have meant a lot of walking at night in a not terrific neighborhood, so I chose to cut through the zoo to get to the main entrance, which would take me straight to a well-let trolley stop. Big mistake! Zoos are DARK at night. I may have tripped over a peacock.

MR: If you could choose one celebrity (actors/actresses, singers etc.) to be your best friend, who would it be? Why?
AI: Tina Fey or Rowlf the Dog. I think she's a hilarious genius, but if push came to shove, I might go with my favorite muppet.

MR: What author are you most looking forward to meeting at the 8th annual Greater Rochester Teen Book Festival?
AI: Tom Angleberger! Tom Angleberger!!! Okay, I already know him and we're buddies. But that's what's great about being a kid's book author--you get to go to great festivals, meet new people, become friends with them, and then hang out with them at future conferences!

Thanks for the interview, Amy. We're looking forward to meeting you! Amy sounds pretty cool, don't you think? So are you excited now?

Miranda

No comments:

Post a Comment