Tuesday, May 1, 2018

TBF Author Interview with Erin Spencer

Hello TBF readers!

Happy May! Do you know what that means? TBF is 18 days! Let the countdown begin! I chatted with Erin Spencer, the audiobook performer for Dana Mele's People Like Us. Take a look:

Miranda Reads: As an actress, what are the joys and challenges of being an audiobook narrator? An audiobook director?

Erin Spencer: The joys and challenges can be one and the same! It’s so FUN to embody a character that I can never be in real life - a curmudgeonly old man, a French shop owner, or an African American boy living in the deep south. But, at the same time, it’s challenging because I want to make sure I get it right. I want to get their voice right, their accent right and most importantly their essence right.

As a director, well, I love working with actors! I love co-creating the story and the characters together in the studio. It can be a challenge on the rare occasion when an actor is inflexible at first, but I’ve found that finding common ground and creating a personal connection can really open someone up so we can go on a creative journey together.

Miranda Reads: What was it about People Like Us that made you enjoy narrating the audiobook?

Erin Spencer: As someone who went to boarding school I understand the very unique relationships that are developed between teenagers in that environment. And, even though my own personal high school experience didn’t result in a scavenger hunt who-done-it, I loved that I got to narrate one that did! I also appreciated the diverse cast of characters I got to play with!

Miranda Reads: Do you have a routine or ritual before you perform?

Erin Spencer: If I’m working from home then my routine is to give my dog, Derby, a thorough petting and lots of kisses, put her on her bed OUTSIDE my booth (just in case she starts snoring) and then GO! If I’m working at someone else’s studio, like at Penguin Random House, I usually just socialize and get a bottle of room temp water before we start. There are lots of narrators that do lots of things before they go in the booth - I’m just not one of them!

Miranda Reads: What are some of your hobbies outside of performing and directing?

Erin Spencer: I am always up for an adventure! White water rafting, eating new foods, bungee jumping…you name it and I’ll probably do it. My goal this year is to do the Machu Picchu hike!

Thank you so much, Erin! We can't wait to meet you at TBF!

You can purchase the book or the audiobook of People Like Us at Barnes and Noble or Amazon (Be sure to use Amazon Smile and make the Greater Rochester Teen Book Festival your charitable organization) or check them out at your local library.

That's it for today! Be sure to check out the blog again for more author interviews, book reviews, and fun posts!

Miranda

No comments:

Post a Comment