Monday, March 19, 2018

Book Review: People Like Us


Hey guys! Long time no see am I right? (ha ha that's funny cuz my last post was three days ago). Anyway, Katie C. here back again, but this time with another amazing book to tell you all about: People Like Us by Dana Mele!
Image result for people like us dana mele publishKay Donovan may have skeletons in her closet, but the past is past, and she's reinvented herself entirely. Now she's a star soccer player whose group of gorgeous friends run their private school with effortless popularity and acerbic wit. But when a girl's body is found in the lake, Kay's carefully constructed life begins to topple. The dead girl has left Kay a computer-coded scavenger hunt, which, as it unravels, begins to implicate suspect after suspect, until Kay herself is in the crosshairs of a murder investigation. But if Kay's finally back into a corner, she'll do what it takes to survive. Because at Bates Academy, the truth is something you make...not something that happened


(this book was published on February 27th, however the book that I read and will be reviewing was the ARC copy I received)

Wow guys, I don't even know where to start with this book. The story really took off right from the first page and wouldn't let me put it down until the final chapter. There are so many things I could talk about with People Like Us...so I guess I'll start with the characters

The best thing about reading a mystery novel is that, in the end, there's no one you can trust. That's why with every interaction between Kay and someone else, whether it be her best friend, her ex, her enemy, etc. there was always something hidden between the lines. Everyone in the novel always acted like they were hiding something, including Kay herself! And with every character being a fully fleshed out person with different backstories and motivations, it truly felt like I was involved in the mystery itself while reading this book!

And can we just talk about the plot itself! No spoilers here, I promise, but this story was so much more than a mystery. There was blackmail, lying, and soooo many secrets (ok, I guess that's what you would expect to find in a mystery novel but just trust me! This book didn't feel at all like your every day mystery story!). Its hard to say more without reveling anything, but with every flip of the page I felt like I was diving deeper and deeper into something a little more than the average dead girl found in a lake.

Anyway, while I reviewed the arc, this book is already out so be sure to find it at you local library, bookstore, or wherever else you get all your fantastic reads. While I love these back to back posts, I'm afraid you guys won't see me until April. But until then, happy reading! Katie C. signing off!

No comments:

Post a Comment