Tuesday, February 27, 2018

TBF Author Interview with Taran Matharu

Hello TBF readers,

Hooray! It's the first author interview of the blogging season! Are you ready for it?

I chatted with Taran Matharu, author of The Novice series. Take a look:

Miranda Reads: What was the inspiration behind The Summoner Series?

Taran Matharu: It's always hard to nail down the inspirations for my books, since so much of it is unconscious, but if I think about it, it comes down to four things:

1.) History

I have always loved history, even as a subject at school. Historical fiction was one of my preferred genres, with Bernard Cornwell and Wilbur Smith's books stacking my shelves. Medieval times, with their great battles, political intrigue and the importance of family, heritage and succession had a great influence on the nobility in The Novice.

Then there is the 18th century, an age of great empires, rampant piracy and a mad mix of modern and early weaponry, with gunpowder muskets, pistols and cannons being used alongside cavalry, sabres, and lances. It was a time of scientific advancement and technological disparities, great clashes of cultures and racial discrimination. I took great inspiration from this time period, especially in The Novice's weapons and warfare.

2.) Mythology and Cryptology

When creating my "Demonology" and designing my demons, I wanted a mix of the familiar and the new. From the world's legends, I adapted Griffins, Salamanders, Minotaurs, Golems and Hydras, to name but a few, all of which would be familiar creatures to the well-read.

Then there were the lesser-known creatures, such as the cannibalistic Wendigo from Native American mythology, or the Raiju, a lightning powered mammal from Japan. Another favourite was the Persian Chamrosh, a griffin-like mix between bird and dog. Of course I designed my own unique demons as well, but my love for mythological creatures around the world had a huge influence on it all.

3.) My Own Experiences

One of my passions is to travel. All over the world, I encountered fascinating cultures, from the aboriginals of Australia to the native tribes of the Amazon. I have been in deserts and rainforests, deep sea and mountaintops, snowy wastelands and the hilly English countryside. These inspired the geography of Hominum, as well as the cultures and histories of my fantasy races.

During my schooldays I saw how class divisions could cause great rifts and shape the people within them. I have also experienced racism as a minority, something that featured heavily in my life when I was younger. From here, the discrimination, classism and personalities in Vocans Academy and the wider Hominum Empire were conceived.

4.) Fantasy and Science Fiction Culture

I have enjoyed science fiction and fantasy in all aspects they manifest themselves in, be that films, books, comics or videogames. These include the magical schools of Earthsea, Harry Potter and Discworld, the multiple races of Lord of the Rings, Skyrim and Redwall, the portals to another world in the Chronicles of Narnia and Stargate, and even the creature companions in Pokémon. All these and more have influenced and inspired the Summoner series.

Miranda Reads: How did you go about building the world for your books?

Taran Matharu: My world building usually starts with the seed on an idea, usually a question. In this case, it was: What if we could summon demons? From there, more questions expand the universe. What kind of demons are they? Where do they come from? Can everyone summon demons, or just a select few? Is this a skill that must be taught, or is it something we are born with? Eventually, the world will take shape in my mind and becomes a fully fleshed out universe.

Miranda Reads:
The Outcast is a prequel novel to The Summoner Series, starring Fletcher’s mentor, Arcturus. What made you decide to write the prequel about Arcturus?

Taran Matharu: When I read Harry Potter, I had always wanted to see what happened to Harry's parents, as well as the various teachers and villains in the series, but of course, we only see some of this in flash backs. Luckily, with my own series, I can do just that!

Arcturus is one of my favourite characters, and in many ways it is his story that sets Fletcher on his journey. But what Summoner readers know of Arcturus is anecdotal and told after the fact. By going back in time to see Arcturus's adolescence, it allows my readers to not only see the history of the world of Summoner, but also many of the older characters in their formative years.

Miranda Reads: What three established fantasy worlds would you love to live in and why?

Taran Matharu: If my last answer didn't give it away, Harry Potter is definitely one of them. But only after the last book - I don't think I'd like to be a wizard while Voldemort was still on the loose! I also love Ready Player One, and it would certainly be extremely cool to have access to its VR world, the Oasis. Finally, I think I would like to live in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series - it's just such a fun, crazy world!

Miranda Reads: Which TBF Author are you most excited to meet this year?

Taran Matharu: I would love to meet Jon McGoran, his book Spliced sounds right up my street!

Thank you so much, Taran!

You can pre-order The Outcast and purchase the rest of Taran's books at Barnes and Noble or Amazon. Better, you can check out Taran's at your local library, here.

That's all for today! Be sure to check the blog for more book reviews, author interviews, and TBF-related fun posts!

Miranda

No comments:

Post a Comment