Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Guest Blogger Book Review: Identical by Ellen Hopkins


Click here to find this book in your local library!
"We are exact
opposites,
Kaeleigh and me.
Mirror image identical
twins. One egg, one sperm
one zygote, divided,
sharing one complete
set of genetic markers.

Good, bad. Left, right.
Kaeleigh and Raeanne.
One egg, one sperm.
One being, split in two.”

To anyone who has read an Ellen Hopkins book, you will know that her writing style strongly portrays the dark, dirty truths of strong issues facing many teens. Ellen Hopkins writes her books in free verse. As you read, be sure to take note of where the words are located so you don’t miss any of the hidden parts of the story (don’t only read left to right).

This book follows identical twins, Kaeleigh and Raeanne, as they move through life with an alcoholic father and a mother who lives out of the home while she is on a campaign trail. These sisters are dealing with the issues of eating disorders, cutting, strong sexual urges, sexual abuse in the home, drug abuse, attempted suicide, drunk and high driving, and mental illness.

I don’t want to give too much away in the story, but I’ll give you a little insight. Kaeleigh and Raeanne were in a horrific car accident a couple years prior to this story with their parents—their father at the wheel. This led to an estrangement between the mother and father, as well as some barriers in the relationship between the twins. As you read from the perspective of both twins, you never see them interact with each other directly. Instead, you are tuned into their thoughts about their own lives as well as their judgments on the choices of each other. As a reader, you are brought along as the girls face life-altering situations, addictions, and disorders. Though mysteries are solved and some situations are bettered, Identical doesn’t exactly hold a happy ending—though it is still very worth the read! (The plot twist is extraordinary and unexpected!)

Though not for the faint at heart, I would recommend Identical particularly to those interested in psychology. This book definitely has some trigger warnings for the issues I mentioned above, and there is a lot of strong language throughout the book. Both are things I would be glad to know before reading, but are not things that would keep me from picking up this incredible book by this amazing author!

I promise as you read, you will be digging for an explanation and constantly surprised by the events our main characters live through.

Happy reading to all!

-Paxton


My name is Paxton Brewer and I am a graduate student at Nazareth College in the Literacy Education program, though I have a degree in mathematics and teaching certificates in birth through sixth grade, inclusive. I am an avid reader, especially of Young Adult books, and am thoroughly enjoying the secondary literature class I am currently taking that pushes me to read YA books I might not normally pick up. I am looking very forward to this year’s TBF!

No comments:

Post a Comment