Monday, February 13, 2017

Guest Blogger Book Review: The Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King

I can see I'm not alone in my excitement for TBF 2017! This is my first book review for TBF and I'm thrilled to be involved. My name is Bridget Collins, and I'm a student in St. John Fisher's School Librarianship program. My dream is to have a career in a secondary school to feed my passion for books and literature; either as a classroom English teacher or librarian. In that role, I'll get to promote TBF, too, and the wonderful authors and books that will be there like A. S. King's The Dust of 100 Dogs.

If you think a book about a pirate who is cursed to be reincarnated as 100 dogs before she's born as a human again doesn't sound like it's relatable to young adults, you're wrong! Emer (now finally reborn as a 20th century American teenager named Saffron) struggles with the same things many modern teens do: struggling to get by in high school, fighting with her brother, and trying not to disappoint her parents. All this does get a little complicated because she's the only one who knows where her treasure was buried years ago, and has to figure out how to get to Jamaica to get it back.

When I try to think about how best to promote this book, all I think about is the beginning of The Princess Bride. If you're not familiar with that, then first of all, you should be, but second of all, this book has it all too! "Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles... "

Well, maybe not giants or monsters, but everything else ensures you won't be bored! I highly recommend this book to any teen; you'll find something you like!

~Bridget C.

No comments:

Post a Comment