Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Book Review: Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

Hi everyone,

Hope the school year hasn't been too harsh on you as we approach winter break. Today we're talking about The first book in the Cahill Witch Chronicles: Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood.

Cate Cahill and her sisters have always lived in fear of their secret getting out. They're witches. With the priests of the Brotherhood breathing down their necks they can't afford to slip up or it would mean life an asylum, prison, or worse, death. When Cate receives a mysterious letter warning her of the danger to come she knows that she and her sisters might be in even more trouble than she thought. Through the help of the letters her deceased mother left behind and the local bookstore owner, she uncovers a prophecy that puts her and her sisters at the turning point of the century, for the better or for worse. All the while her coming of age ceremony is right around the corner and she has to make a choice: join the sisterhood and protect her sisters, or pursue forbidden love with the intoxicating Finn Belastra?

I can't express how excited I am to talk about this book. I finished the whole thing in an afternoon because I simply could not put it down. When I first started the book I hadn't even read the inside cover. I had little idea of what it was about and just dove right in. Instantly I found our main character Cate relate able. There was something so spot on about her incessant worrying and her attitude as a girl trapped by society. It was also hard not to get wrapped up in her two younger sisters, the hotheaded Maura and the calm innocent Tess. Most of all, never has a forbidden love story enticed me as much as this one did. From the very moment you meet Finn his character jumps off the page and into real life. His first few sentences told me everything I needed to know in order to get me seriously invested in the book and its plot.The Cahill Witch Chronicles is a trilogy. By the time I reached the end of book one I was hungry and ready for the next two, dying to see how the story might be resolved. I definitely recommend Born Wicked. Jessica Spotswood does a phenomenal job with this story and I am excited to see what the next books have in store.

That's all for today!

Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment