Sunday, March 22, 2015

If I Stay by Gayle Forman Book Review

Just listen, Adam says with a voice that sounds like shrapnel.

I open my eyes wide now.
I sit up as much as I can.
And I listen.

Stay, he says.

Choices. Seventeen-year-old Mia is faced with some tough ones: Stay true to her first love—music—even if it means losing her boyfriend and leaving her family and friends behind?

Then one February morning Mia goes for a drive with her family, and in an instant, everything changes. Suddenly, all the choices are gone, except one. And it's the only one that matters.

If I Stay is a heartachingly beautiful book about the power of love, the true meaning of family, and the choices we all make.


       There are novels that people come across in life that positively change you after you've read them. If I Stay by Gayle Forman definitely counts as one of those novels. It is rare that a novel manages to make me laugh, cry, mourn, cheer, and reexamine my own life, but this novel made me do all those actions and more.
        The premise of the novel-Whether Mia should remain alive on earth, or die- was a tough concept, which Forman flawlessly executed. The main characters, Mia, Adam, and Mia's Parents each had well-rounded personalities that made Mia's decision even more heart-wrenching, as it involved leaving at least one wonderful person. As a main character, Mia was not only relatable, but also a character I was completely in awe with. Her talent, pure love, and dedication to playing cello was truly astounding, and as a fellow musician I appreciated the author's combination of music and love in this novel. However, what also made her characterization excellent was her strength as a character to ultimately weigh the pros and cons of each potential decision, and make the best choice based on her goals and wants.
     Nevertheless, the romance in this novel was my favorite part of this awesome book. Adam. Is. Flawless. And swoon-worthy, and overall a great musically gifted rock-star catch!  By no means was he perfect, but that just added to his realness as a sweet, identifiable character. I loved the lyric snippets from the music he wrote that were written within the book, but most of all I simply loved Adam. The love he had for Mia transcended the pages, and made me root for them to remain together. Who doesn't love two people that can bond and fall in love through music?! Although their romance was filled with cute dates and funny banter, it was in no way cliché! Furthermore, Mia and Adam around Mia's parents (every teenager's dream parents) created hilarious scenes that lightened the book as well.
    Overall, it would be a complete shame for someone not to read If I Stay by Gayle Forman, especially if he/she has seen the movie that came out last year. I absolutely loved this Coming-of-Age Romance novel that made me examine what I truly lived for in life, as well as made me hug tighter the loved ones in my own life. Therefore, I recommend to all to read this book! It will be an unforgettable experience you won't want to miss!

No comments:

Post a Comment