Monday, April 21, 2014

Interview with TBF Author: Amber Lough

Hello readers!

TBF is less than a month away! YAY! Also I have some exciting news to share with you. This year the fundraising challenge was to reach $9999 and if met, Stephanie and the rest of the TBF committee will have to dress up from a steampunk novel. Well I'm happy to announce that we have met the challenge! So on the day of the festival, be prepared to see Stephanie and the TBF committee decked out in steampunk. It's going to be wonderful!

I had the pleasure of chatting with Amber Lough, author of the Jinni Wars series. Take a look!

Miranda Reads: Your first young adult novel is called The Fire Wish and the first book in the Jinni Wars series. What is it about? What can we expect from it?

Amber Lough: The Fire Wish hard to pin down, but it is essentially about two girls who have grown up in very different places and who end up having to trade places with each other. It’s a bit of the Prince and the Pauper, the Little Mermaid, and my own life experiences of often being the foreigner in the room, with a heavy dose of 1001 Nights elements.


MR: I know the Fire Wish hasn't been released yet but for readers (*raising hand*) who need to know how long before they can get their hands on the sequel, do you have a publication date for the second book in the Jinni Wars?

AL: I don’t have a publication date for it yet, but it should be out July 2015. It’s in the final stages of content editing with my editor right now.


MR: If you were a jinni, what 3 YA authors would you happily serve?

AL: That is a really hard question to answer! In my book, jinni don’t really “serve” humans, but they do have to give a wish if touched by a human. That said, I've love to serve Susan Cooper, Madeleine L'Engle, and Fyodor Dostoyevsky (He wrote "The Adolescent," so I'm counting him as a YA author.)


MR: One of your five fun facts says that you read a story about a girl who gets raped. Did you write this story? If you did, will it see the light of day?

AL: I did write the story, but I don’t have a copy of it anywhere anymore. I remember the gist of it—it was all very vague and dramatic. Let’s just say I’m glad it’s been lost.
 
 
MR: Let's pretend you're on the talent competition show, America's Got Talent. What talent would you perform?
 
AL: I would sing something classical, like Purcell's "Nymphs and Shepherds." After a LOT of practice, of course.
 
 
MR: What author are you most looking forward to meeting in the 9th Annual Greater Rochester Teen Book Festival?
 
AL: Paolo Bacigalupi, hands down. (To be fair, I know some of the authors already, and am not counting them because I've already met them.)
 
 
Thanks for chatting with me, Amber! See you soon!
 
That's it for today. Make sure you check back here for more author interviews and book reviews!
Miranda

No comments:

Post a Comment