Thursday, January 23, 2014

Interview with TBF Author: Marie Rutkoski

Hello readers!

I have another author interview to share with you! Meet Marie Rutkoski, author of The Shadow Society and The Winner's Curse.

Miranda Reads: You have a new book coming out in March, The Winner's Curse. What is it about?

Marie Rutkoski: This is kind of cheating, but I'm going to give you the back-of-the-book summary, because I think it's the best way to describe it:
As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions. One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction. Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin. But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined. 
Set in a richly imagined new world, The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski is a story of deadly games where everything is at stake, and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart.

MR: What inspired you to write it?

MR2: The phrase "the winner's curse," which is an actual economic term that describes how the person who wins the auction also in a sense loses, because she's bid more than what other people have decided the item is worth. I thought it was a fascinating idea, and it made me aware of how something like this happens all the time in life: we get what we want, but pay a steep price to get it. I tried to imagine a story that would match the title "The Winner's Curse," a story where the main character would pay a steep emotional price. I thought, "What if the item up for auction weren't a thing, but a person? What would winning cost you then?"


MR: For readers who need to know when the next book comes out (I am one of them), when will the sequel to The Winner's Curse be released? (Please don't say we have to wait until 2016. It's hard enough to wait until March!)

MR2: Don't worry! The sequel will be out in March 2015. It's already written and I'm editing it. We even have a book cover! (it's gorgeous). All that to say that it will be out in time, a year after the publication of The Winner's Curse.


MR: One of your five fun facts says that you started to play the violin six months ago. How is that going? I give you props for learning to play the violin. I tried to play the viola and my music career lasted 3 months...

MR2: Mmm...there is improvement. It's nice to work at something where I see improvement, and although I'm still not very good, I know that my left hand is more relaxed on the strings and my bow grip is a lot better. But I'm still on Suzuki book 1, and just last night I was playing with a five-year-old who played "Perpetual Motion" a whole lot better than I did (I'm working on the Bach minuets these days). It's humbling.


MR: Let's pretend you're on the talent competition show, America's Got Talent. What talent would you perform?

MR2:   Confession: I have only the foggiest idea of what this show is (I don't have a TV. I mean, I watch movies and TV series that I download or get on DVD, etc., but I'm a few years behind everyone else). I looked it up online, and I'm still not sure what talents are allowed....can I do rock climbing? Though I'm not amazing at that. I'm competent.
 
Or I could bake a soufflé.
 
 
MR: What author are you most looking forward to meeting at the 9th Annual Greater Rochester Teen Book Festival?
 
MR2: Ooh, tricky question! I'm excited that a lot of authors I know and love will be there, and of those I love and don't know personally.....I feel so nervous answering this question! It's a little bit like broadcasting a "Warning: I Will Fangirl You" message. Ok. I have long admired Laurie Halse Anderson and AS King, and I have also just recently read and thoroughly enjoyed These Broken Stars, so I'm looking forward to meeting Meagan Spooner, too. I have questions for her!
 
Hahaha, every reader can definitely relate to you Marie; there's a fangirl and fanguy inside all of us! Thanks for chatting with me. See you in May!
 
That's it for today. Be sure to check back here for more author interviews and book reviews.
Miranda

No comments:

Post a Comment