Monday, May 13, 2013

The Lucy Variations by Sara Zarr


As a musician, I LOVE to find books that relate to music. When I found out that Sara Zarr’s new book The Lucy Variations dealt with music, I was extremely excited to read it, and it didn’t disappoint.
 
At 16, Lucy’s glory days are behind her. She used to be a famous concert pianist with a promising career ahead of her before a sobering death led her to quit. Now she hasn’t played in eight months, and the weight of her family’s expectations and aspirations now rest on the shoulders of her 10-year-old prodigious brother Gus. After Gus’s piano teacher dies, Lucy’s family hires Will, a young but accomplished teacher, as a replacement. Will doesn’t only become Gus’s teacher, but also Lucy’s friend. Will Lucy be able to overcome her past and learn to really love music again?
 
The Lucy Variations is expertly written. Not only is the story vivid, but it is filled with amazingly real characters and just completely sucks you in. Sara Zarr captures emotions and music so wonderfully, and really shows Lucy’s growth throughout the novel. I finished The Lucy Variations in only 2 days, staying up late one night to finish it because I couldn’t put it down. I’d strongly recommend The Lucy Variations to anyone who loves music and to anyone looking for a fast, emotional read. I hope you’ll enjoy The Lucy Variations and come meet Sara Zarr on Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. I just read this last night in one sitting, and I agree. So powerful! Can't wait to ask Sara questions about it when I see her! - Olivia, TBF committee

    ReplyDelete