Monday, May 13, 2013

Interview with TBF authors: Mary Pearson & Matt de la Pena

4 more days!!! Who's excited?!

To celebrate, I've decided to post two author interviews!

The first author to check off on our list is Mary Pearson. She wrote the Jenna Fox Chronicles and stand alone novels like Scribbler of Dreams, The Miles Between and A Room on Lorelei Street.

Miranda Reads: Now that the Adoration of Jenna Fox trilogy has come to an end, are you working on a new project?
Mary Pearson: Yes!  I always have something going and now I'm working on The Remnant trilogy that will be out next year. It is 180 degrees from The Jenna Fox Chronicles--no modern technology!  I needed a new challenge.

MR: Back in 2008, you were one of the first YA authors to write a dystopia. Looking at YA books today, what do you think of the popular dystopian trend?
MP: Of course sci-fi/dystopia has a long rich history in literature going back to Frankenstein, Fahrenheit 451, The Giver, Lord of the Flies, and so many more, but it does seem to have surged in popularity in recent years and  I think that shows there was a intense interest and curiosity brewing among readers about what the future might hold.

MR: One of your five fun facts says that when you were 4 years old you stole a book. Do you remember what book it was? Do you still have the book?
MP: No, I don't remember the title--only the horrified look on my parents faces when they saw me in the backseat of the car with the book still in my hands. They marched me right back to the store and made me return it.

MR: What author are you most looking forward to meeting at the 8th annual Greater Rochester Teen Book Festival?
MP: All of them! So many of them I know already (the writing world is small) so I'm excited to reconnect with old friends, but there are a lot I haven't met too, so it will be fun to make new friends.

The second author to check off is Matt de la Pena. He wrote Mexican White Boy, We Were Here, I Will Save You and Ball Don't Lie.

Miranda Reads: You have set a challenge to anyone coming to TBF this year; if readers can explain the reference to “Wha’chu talkin’ about, Mexico?” they will win a special prize. Can you clarify on how many answers you’ll be taking, where and when to tell you etc.?
Matt de la Pena: The special prize will involve the character from my forthcoming novel, The Living (though it won't be the novel itself, which doesn't come out until November). I will be giving the prize to the first forty people who have the right answer. The one rule: you have to tell me your answer in one of my sessions with Coe Booth.

MR: For a couple times now, you’ve been paired with Coe Booth during the author sessions. Have you thought about co-writing a book with her?
MdlP: It's interesting that you mention that . . . . We aren't planning to write a book together, but there may or may not be a special project in the works. I can't say any more, however, because I've been sworn to secrecy.
 
MR: One of your five fun facts says that you’ve been in four fist fights and refuse to fight again out of fear of dropping below .500.We’re talking about Matt de la Pena, right?
MdlP: I used to have a bit of a temper. Especially on the basketball court. Someone would pop off to me and I'd lose my mind. But I'm older now. And more mature. The only time I fight on a basketball court now is when I'm competing against middle school kids. Unless they look they lift weights a lot or something.

MR: What author are you most looking forward to meeting at the 8th annual Greater Rochester Teen Book Festival?
MdlP: Jessica Brody. She splits her time between Los Angeles And Colorado? How the heck does she pull that off? She's living my dream! Maybe I could be her nanny or dog walker?

And this wraps up today's author interviews. Make sure you visit the blog as Elizabeth and I counting down to TBF!
 
Miranda

No comments:

Post a Comment