Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Beautiful Creatures by (Kami Garcia and) Margaret Stohl

When Beautiful Creatures first came out in December 2009, I immediately bought it and devoured it. Today I'm a huge fan (one fan name: Casters) of this series and I almost passed out when I heard Margaret Stohl, co-author of Beautiful Creatures, was coming to TBF. Anyone seen a trailer for the movie, Beautiful Creatures? It is based on this book! If you haven't seen the movie trailer, you can watch it here. I highly recommend this book to anyone. I think readers of gothic romance, drama and paranormal will love it:

There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.

At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.


How can I possibly describe the awesome-ness? First thing is that I love how the book is in Ethan's perspective, a male narrator. For readers who like a female narrator (my personal preference) or third person (he, she, they etc.), I promise you, you're going to love being inside Ethan's head. His sense of humor reminds me of Percy Jackson. Another thing is the characters in this novel are wonderful! Lena and Ethan are just amazing. I love that the secondary characters are fleshed out like the main characters would be. They have their quirks that makes them unique from everyone else, so you know who's-who. I think my favorite secondary character is "Boo Radley"...he's just mysterious and has a dark aura.To any non-romance readers, this is not just a Romeo and Juliet romance novel. It has action, suspense, drama, fantasy, history and so much more. Also, I like that the authors tied bullying into the book.

That is the best I can describe Beautiful Creatures...when you read it, you'll be speechless too!

Beautiful Creatures the movie is in theaters 2.14.13 aka Valentine's Day!

Here is the Beautiful Creatures book website and here is Margaret Stohl's website.

Miranda

No comments:

Post a Comment