Thursday, January 9, 2014

Interview with TBF author: Gina Damico

Hello TBF readers!

Yes, I have a new TBF author interview for you! I'm excited to present to you the author of the Croak Trilogy, Gina Damico.

Miranda Reads: Lexington, the heroine from the Croak trilogy is very sarcastic and snarky. Were you a lot like Lexington when you were a teenager?

Gina Damico: I was, and still am. My mom always said it would get me in trouble one day, but surprise! It got me published instead!


MR: You have a new book coming out later in 2014 called Hellhole. Can you tell us a little about it?

GD: Hellhole is the story of Max, a seventeen-year-old boy who likes to dig for dinosaur fossils. One day, he inadvertently opens up a portal to hell and out pops a devil, who immediately takes up residence in Max's basement, eats all of his snacks, and refuses to leave. Max, whose mother is sick, strikes a deal in order to help cure his mom, but finds himself committing more and more depraved acts in order to satisfy his devil's whims, and now he has to somehow figure out how to get rid of the guy without incurring the wrath of hell.
 
 
MR: From what it looks like, you sympathize with death deities like the grim ripper. Does it annoy you when death deities are portrayed as the "bad guy"?
 
GD: It doesn't annoy me - it all depends on your perspective. Death can be a very scary thing, and so it makes sense for its personification to be an evil-type figure. But in order for me to write a humorous book about grim reapers (and I can't write a book without humor--trust me, I've tried, it leads to catastrophe), I decided to make them more sympathetic, likable, ordinary people who are just doing their jobs. So I don't think stereotypically "bad guys" always have to be bad. Except clowns. Clowns are always evil.

 
MR: One of your five fun facts says that when your little sister was a baby, you tried to kill her by making her choke on a Lego. Do you remember what motivated you to do that? Did your sister get even with you?

GD: What motivated me was the fact that my mother had left the room and I FINALLY SAW MY CHANCE TO GET RID OF HER. Or maybe I was just bored. Either way, she has continued to get even with me to this day by delightedly telling people what a monster I am every chance she gets.

 
MR: Let's pretend you're on the talent competition show, America's Got Talent. What talent would you perform?

GD: I'd do something hilariously pathetic, like a single cartwheel, then wait for the crickets to chirp. Or maybe I'd sing the entire score of Annie, switching between all the parts, using terrible wigs and an uncomfortable amount of jazz hands.


MR: What author are you most looking forward to meeting at the 9th Annual Greater Rochester Teen Book Festival?

GD: All of them! I can't wait to share some of my delicious Lego appetizers.


Thank you so much Gina! We're so excited to meet you in May!

That's it for today. Make sure to check the blog for more author interviews and book reviews!
Miranda

No comments:

Post a Comment